Thursday 18 April 2013

Just like Mike: Vomiting Bryce Harper goes 4 for 5 with flu

"Sometimes I dream ... that he is me" — Gatorade commercial from 1992

The best player in the history of basketball, Michael Jordan, was famous for playing some of his greatest games while sick with the flu. One notable time, in the 1997 NBA Finals with the Chicago Bulls, he felt deathly ill and scored 38 points to beat the Utah Jazz. It's even been alleged that MJ was poisoned.

Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals hasn't reached Michael Jordan's level in terms of accomplishment yet but, even at 20 years old, he already has a great "flu" story under his belt. Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington tells it:

He received an IV before the game. He had to excuse himself during the second inning to go vomit. He felt his head spinning every time he tried to swing a bat. He had to hunch over several times after running the bases.

And Bryce Harper still managed to go 4-for-5 in the Nationals' 6-1 win over the Marlins last night.

He even hustled to beat out an infield single. Via Nats' Enquirer covering MASN, manager Davey Johnson even said he thought Harper might drop to the ground in a heap at any moment:

"I thought he was gonna die every time he went up there, and he got a hit. After three hits, you're think he's feeling great. But he didn't have a smile on his face the whole game...I'll give him off tomorrow, though."

Yeah, if Harper lets Johnson give him the day off. You could tell by Harper's eyes and his complexion that he was really sick. (A parent can always tell, sweetie!) Bryce don't give a care.

"No, I wanted to play," he said. "My team needed me out there today, and I think I could have helped the team win today. ... I don't really care if I was sick or not, I was going to go out there and play."

Sometimes I dream ... that he is me. Just like Mike.

Baseball is back! Interact with @AnswerDave, @MikeOz, @Townie813 and @bigleaguestew on Twitter, along with the BLS Facebook page!



No comments:

Post a Comment